If you’re like us, we’re always on the lookout for nutritious food and treats for our pets. You can definitely feed your dog some homemade food and natural treats such as bully sticks (which are our dogs’ favorite treats), but you should be very careful with how you do so. Giving too much treats, for instance, can lead to obesity.
Additionally, some foods are very harmful to dogs and should never cross their digestive system. Here are five of them:
All kinds of chocolate have theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. It’s especially prominent in
dark and baking chocolate. It can cause excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomits, heart complications and seizures.
The most poisonous fruit you can give to your dog. Much of the harm comes from persin, a fungicidal substance. Avocado also contains high levels of vegetable fat and toxins. It can lead to stomach, pancreas, pulmonary and heart issues.
Onions and garlic
This combo can destroy the dog’s red blood cells and lead to anemia. They can also cause food poisoning, with symptoms such as weakness, difficulty to breathe, vomits and lack of appetite.
Grapes, raisins and seeds
These foods are known to cause renal failure in dogs. It is possible that your dog’s kidneys and liver shut down and vomits become frequent. You should never give your dog the seeds of peaches, cherries, plums and apples since they contain high levels of cyanide, which dogs are unable to digest properly.
Candy and cakes
These sweets contain xylitol. It’s an ingredient that can provoke an insulin surge, which in turn leads to a blood sugar drop and liver failure. Vomits, seizures, and disorientation are common in these cases.
You should also avoid feeding your pet citrus fruits, raw protein, salty foods, among many other things. Keep informed and everything will turn out just fine.